My house is in a Floodplain? What do I need to do?


You need to consider purchasing floodplain insurance.  Your homeowners or renters’ insurance policy DOES NOT cover flooding.  To purchase flood insurance, contact your regular homeowner’s insurance agent.


Your family is at risk of flooding, which can happen quickly and without warning.  Prepare a family disaster plan for your best protection.  The American Red Cross has excellent publications in English and Spanish to help you with this process.  Your planning should include the following:

  • Designating a meeting place
  • Educating yourself and your children on the warning signs
  • Assembling an emergency food and water supply kit
  • Learning how to turn off utilities
  • Arranging animal care
  • Planning how to help family members and neighbors with special needs


The City of Duncan requires a Floodplain Development Permit along with a building permit for remodeling, improving, expanding, or rebuilding your home, buildings, parking areas, etc. within the floodplain.  If your property is in a floodplain, all projects must be compliant with stricter rules for floodplain construction. 

Show All Answers

1. What is the Federal Emergency Management Agency?
2. What is a Floodway?
3. What is a floodplain, and what is a flood?
4. What is the National Flood Insurance Program?
5. What is a Flood Insurance Rate Map? What is the importance of a Special Flood Hazard Area and what are flood zones?
6. What is the probability of flooding within a 100-year floodplain?
7. Is there really a need for flood insurance?
8. My house is in a Floodplain? What do I need to do?
9. Who has to buy Flood Insurance?
10. What is a Preferred Risk Policy? Can this save property owners money?
11. What is an elevation Certificate?